Digital & Offset Printing
Digital & Offset Printing
Quick turn around of short run prints or high volume quality printing, we are happy to help
Digital Printing refers to the process of transferring a document on a personal computer or any other digital storage device to a printing substance by means of a device that accepts text and graphic output.
Typical devices for digital printing are –
- Inkjet printer
- Laser printer
- Multi-function peripheral
Offset Printing is a printing technique in which the inked mage is transferred (or “offset”) from a plate to a rubber blanket, then to the printing surface. When used in combination with the lithographic, which is based on the repulsion of oil and water, the offset technique employs a flat (planographic) image carrier on which the image to be printed obtains ink from ink rollers, while the non-printing area attracts a water-based film (called “fountain solution”), keeping the non-printing areas ink-free.
The modern “web” process feeds a large reel of paper through a large press machine in several parts, typically for several metres, which then prints continuously as the paper is fed through.
Benefits of Each Method
Digital printing has many advantages over traditional methods. Some of them are:
- Desktop publishing – inexpensive home and office printing is only possible because of digital processes that bypass the need for printing plates
- Variable data printing – uses database-driven print files for the mass personalization of printed materials
- Fine art – archival digital printing methods include real photo paper exposure prints and giclée prints on water color paper using pigment based inks
- Print on Demand – digital printing is used for personalized printing for example, children’s books customized with a child’s name, photo books (such as wedding photo books), or any other books
- Advertising – often used for outdoor banner advertising and event signage, in trade shows, in the retail sector at point of sale or point of purchase, and in personalized direct mail campaigns
- Photos – digital printing has revolutionized photo printing in terms of the ability to retouch and color correct a photograph before printing
- Architectural Design – new media that conforms to a variety of surfaces has enabled interior and exterior spaces to be transformed using digitally printed wall murals and floor graphics
Advantages of offset printing compared to other printing methods include:
- Consistent high image quality than Letter Printing. Offset printing produces sharper and cleaner images and type, this is because the rubber blanket conforms to the texture of the printing surface
- Quick and easy production of printing plates
- Longer printing plate life than on direct litho presses because there is no direct contact between the plate and the printing surface. Properly developed plates used with optimized inks and fountain solution may achieve run lengths of more than a million impressions;
- Cost of Offset printing is the cheapest method for producing high quality prints in commercial printing quantities;
- Ability to adjust the amount of ink on the fountain roller with screw keys
Choosing between Digital and Offset methods
Offset printing is the most affordable way to print large orders. If you wish to print millions of inserts or thousands of magazines, offset printing is very cost effective. The cost to make the metal plates is the same regardless of how many copies need to be printed. With offset printing, the cost per copy actually gets lower with the more impressions you print!
Offset printing provides you with a variety of finishes to choose from. Web offset printing offers newsprint, hi-bright, and offset paper types, as well as satin, matte, and high-gloss finishes.
Offset printing presses are flexible with all types of printing products. Whether it’s a catalog, coupon book, community newspaper, digest, magazine, standard, tabloid, or specialty job.
For those who don’t need higher volume, Digital Printing has become a viable alternative to Offset printing. New technologies incorporated in state-of-the-art digital presses have made digital quality nearly as good as offset quality. In fact, to the untrained eye there is virtually no difference between the two options. Unlike offset printing, digital prices remain consistent per print, which is why digital printing is less expensive than offset printing on short runs but can be quite a bit more expensive on bigger runs.
When it comes to choosing between offset and digital printing, the question is not so much which technology you want to use but how many do you want to print.
Digital Printing & Offset Printing at iZAPS
At iZAPs we are well-equipped in both technologies. Depending on your requirements we will offer you the best option to suit your need and budget. We house the latest machines and equipment to process your order. So you can rest assured for the quality of output and fast turnaround on your job. We have served many corporate & SME clients over the years and now even take up walk-ins orders.
Some the common printing services that we offer are –
Letterheads & Envelopes